Where it All Began…
In August ,1878, a revival meeting was held in a brush arbor near where the old church building stood in front of the cemetery. This meeting was conducted by Rev. Robin (Robert) Poston. He was assisted by Rev. J.P. Styers, singers came from surrounding churches, including Zion, Zoar, Shelby, New Prospect and others. Several conversions resulted. The new converts went to nearby churches for baptism and membership.
The spirit following the meeting resulted in the organization of a Sunday School in the Spring of 1879. It met in a log barn. The superintendent was W.S. Weathers, and the Secretary was John “Mac” Webb. This same year, 1879, another meeting in August was held at the arbor by Rev. Robin Poston, assisted by Rev. A.C. Irvin, The Holy Spirit was often manifested, and souls were born into the kingdom.
A meeting was held in September 30,1881, at the new building for the purpose of the organizing a church. A sermon was preached by Rev. Robin Poston, Pastor at Zion Baptist Church. Rev. Poston was elected pro tem and A.A. McSwain clerk pro tem. The temporary organization was made permanent and the following were charter members: Mrs. R.V. Weathers, J.J. Cornwell, Mrs. Hezekiah Dedmon, A.P. Spake, Thomas McSwain, Rebecca McSwain, Mrs. David W. Blanton, Mrs. J.J. Cornwell, Moses Ross, Mary Ross, David Blanton, G.B. Bridges, Abel Hardin, Mrs. Abel Hardin, Sophy Bridges, R.J. Putnam, Mrs. Lee Wilson, M.A. Whitworth, Hezekiah Dedmon, David W. Blanton, and W.P. Wilson. On January, 1898 Joe E. Blanton was elected clerk of the church and served for thirty-two years. On March 4,1904, the church in conference instructed Joe E. Blanton Sr. to begin taking subscriptions for a new church building and the first service held in it was Sunday School August 11,1905.
A building committee was elected and the church voted July 16,1961 to begin plans for a new church building. Ross Grove Baptist Church has now been moved from its original site in the grove to Highway 18N. The education facility including a chapel was completed in 1969. On January 29,1984 the church voted unanimously to build the proposed sanctuary. On August 11,1985, a ground breaking service was held. The new sanctuary has a seating capacity for 420 people, offices for the pastor, secretary, youth and children's director, choir room, a bridal room, sound room, baptistery, two dressing rooms with showers, eight restrooms, a dining area and kitchen, a storage room, a choir loft and a vestibule. The sanctuary was dedicated on October 19,1986.